24 June 2009

Don't wanna be a doctor yet...

5 days count down to graduation ball, 13 days to convocation, 30 days to first day on the job... I am considering this possibility - can I not postpone the day I put on the stethoscope and take over the ward? I don't wanna be a doctor yet! Don't think I am ready for that...


It's been months after finals, and a big chunk of knowledge I gained in the past few years seem to have been deleted from my memory. Besides, I am not entirely sure that I am prepared for the challenging life of a houseman. Being in charged of a ward in the day or the whole hospital during night shift? Doesn't sounds cool to me. Lives of patients depend on my decisions, of which my insufficient experience and immature skills might be their one way ticket to heaven. My license to heal could be the same one to kill!

I can no longer say 'sorry I'm just a student' and I am expected to know my stuffs well, and that is worrying. It is not just doing things to learn anymore, it's doing things to develop a career, to please my superior for a good feedback, so that I can get a nice step up the training ladder. Oh, and workplace politics too, another new subject to learn and master!

Once starting my job, I will have to abandon this carefree, spontaneous lifestyle I've been living for months now: I work as much as I want, I go anywhere under the sun I wanna be, I search around for the most exotic food, I stay indoor for days when I feel like doing so and I meet whoever I miss dearly. I haven't have enough of this, and am not ready to give this up yet.

Well, it's a new phase of life that I must go through and I shall adjust my mood to start it off with a blast! Here I am, standing at the shores of my student life, waiting for my boat to sail through the ocean of an interesting career. Praying for a safe, calm and peaceful journey until I reach my final destination. I am sailing, I am sailing...


.

No comments:

Post a Comment