22 May 2009

KL = Kuala Lumpur = Kapital of Loitering






I'm in HKL for a 2 months elective. Things are busy in this major city centre hospital, so I was not given too much attention as an elective student. I do learn somthing when I hang around in the wards and clinics, which is optional at this stage as I have just finished my finals. This 2 months are supposed to be a long break before starting my first job. However I still try to go in everyday for at least half a day, just to be around just in case somebody or something interesting walk in through the door.

For most of the days, I leave during lunch time and start my loitering adventure in downtown KL. HKL is just a short bus ride away from the city. The same bus brings me either to Kota Raya area (where petaling street and all the cheap eats are), or Bukit Bintang (where all the high end malls, restaurants and gorgeous denizens of KL inhabit). Since the weather does not encourage outdoor hunting, 8 out of 10 times I would stop at Jalan Bukit Bintang, right in front of Starhill entrance.

Government hospitals are stingy with their air-conditioning, so upon arrival I dash straight into Pavillion, where there air-conditioning is full-blast. Walking along rows of world's top designer's brands such as Gucci, Prada, Bvlgari etc is a motivation booster. It's the place where i can tell myself 'work hard and all these are yours'. Not that I am too keen to own any of the goods, it's just the idea of being able to walk into these shops and grab the first thing I saw is quite comforting lol. One fine day, I will, when I survive my hardcore training and climbed to the top of the hierarchy ladder in the medical world. See, loitering is not too bad after all, it makes one realise what sort of luxurious life can be achieved by working hard and smart. Motivational loitering - an activity not to be missed by young professionals.

After feeling all motivated, it's time to cure the hunger. There are just too much nice food around the area. Spoilt for choices, it normally takes me a while to decide what to have. Coffee normally follows a late lunch. Startbucks is my favourite hangout. Love the Sulawesi and Sumatra brew, black - strong and aromatic and bitter. With a free beverage after every 7 purchases under the loyalty programme, the strategic location in the mall, and good wi-fi coverage, I see no other option. I normally have my laptop with me when I am out to loiter, as the internet back in my temporary residence is still not properly set up after a month, thanks to our efficient TMnet. I also make sure I have a novel in my bag too, for a pleasant read in the comfy environment. Books and coffee in a nice cafe, a sinfully bliss in life!

Dinner time... Having enough luxury treat, time for more local stuffs. I love Jalan Alor at night, with all the food on offer. It's definitely one spot not to be missed in KL, if you are a food addict. Of course that's if you're down-to-earth enough to be eating beside the street! I love the exotic mixtures of smoke, aroma and noise. I'm a locally breed Malaysian, remember?

The American's evil obesity claws have invaded Malaysia recently. Krispy Kream. Their first store in Time Square is still a big hit in town after a month. I certainly cannot resist the temptation of the lovely original glazed. Especially when it's freshly made! 2 doughnuts after dinner... hundreds of miles of jog to burn that off, or I might have to up-size all my shirt and trousers soon!

Half day of loitering is as tiring as a long ward-round physically, but it counteracts all the stress built up in the wards. My adventure always end with a long walk from Bukit Bintang to KLCC LRT station. A 10 minutes journey: Pavillion - Jalan Pinang - KL convention centre - KLCC tunnel - Suria KLCC - LRT Station. Another 20 minutes get me back to my room.

Shower and bed. Or out for supper with my housemates. End of a meaningful day in the Capital of Loitering - Kuala Lumpur!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Hi, my turn to visit ur blog... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... Yeah, the Krispy Kream doughnut!!!! I have respect to that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 叶子: Yea, it's fabulous. So glad it's in KL now :)

    Chris: Thanks for visiting, my honour to be visited by a class A experienced blogger! I'm back in KL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. eat more and exercise more... ok? so you still could wear all your shirts and trousers... hkl? cool!! next time can ring you up for shortcut/better service =p touch wood!! wish i would not go there! never!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fufu: Been going to the gym loads! Thanks to True Fitness for the one week's trial membership, just nice for my last week in KL :) Should join a gym when i get back o UK! Apologies, I'm not based in HKL anymore. It's too big a hospital for any shortcut/better service anyway. Go to smaller hospital eg: Selayang/Putrajaya sure you'd be more satisfied. Tha's right, better keep yourself healthy and avoid any unnecessary visit!

    ReplyDelete