20 May 2009

Living in Bubbles

Missy U: ‘Where have you been Alice? You missed your violin lesson last week’

Alice: ‘Sorry teacher, my house was robbed last week, my parents and I were tied up and the robbers took all the money and furniture away.’

Missy U: ‘ Aww, I’m so sorry to hear that, is everyone OK?’

Alice: ‘Yea, our neighbour came over the next day to visit and thought something
was not right, he called the police and we were rescued’

Missy U: ‘Thank goodness, I am glad that everyone is safe. By the way, why did the robbers chose your family to rob? Do you live in a massive house’

Alice: ‘No teacher, I live in a normal house.’

Missy U: ‘Your dad must have a very nice car?’

Alice: ‘No teacher, it is a common car’

Missy U: ‘How common is common?’

Alice: ‘A Porsche’

Missy U: ‘…………’

A real story told by a friend, a very talented pianist/violinist/vocalist who teaches part-time in a music school. Due to the geographical location of the school, most of the kids are descendants of the rich and famous, study in private schools and live in their bubbles of luxury.

Like 99.9% of the population in this country, I am from an average family. We do have our own bubbles determined by each family’s values and background. Most of these bubbles are fragile, they burst when we go into mainstream school at the age of 7.

I wonder how would the world looks like in these Class A luxury bullet-proof bubbles? I am really curious. Would I know how a 10 cents coin looks like? Would I call a shirt a shirt if they are not Ralph Lauren Kids? Would I understand the exotic local ‘manglish’ accent? Would I know the difference between Nasi Lemak served in Mamak stalls and Madam Kwan’s? Would I have the chance to share my lunch with a friend whose parents can’t afford to let him eat in school canteen? Would I know that I am the 0.1% lucky ones? Would I even care to know? Would I ever have the chance to find out?

Well, I guess I will never know. I had a great childhood without my bubbles!


.

2 comments:

  1. When you're on the road in KL, look around. Porshes are *really* common. I would say the girl is right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, unfortunately I only see lots of Protons and Peroduas! Well, I guess we're getting there. We just have to double our GDP per capita to be on par with Singapore and triple with Luxembourg. Can't wait to see Porsche to be our next commonest car on the street!!!

    ReplyDelete