18 May 2009

Nocturnal





I have always been a nocturnal creature,
Sun’s down the horizon,
People’s gone to sleep,
Traffic comes to a halt,
The only thing unstoppable is the ticking clock.

What’s better than having this very moment;
When time and space seem to belong only to me?

I don’t share the silence with the construction workers,
I don’t share the night breeze with the sun,
I don’t share the landscape with busy traffic,
I don’t share the stillness with anyone else.

Daytime has too much distractions, way too much,
People are awake for me to talk to,
MSN online list is pages long,
Shops are open for me to loiter in,
People dialing the wrong number,
Mormon missionaries knocking on the door to say how do you do,
Buses and train are running and luring me to escape to another town,
Sometimes the heat makes me dizzy and sleepy.

I love night when I am on my own,
I can read my books without any man-made disturbance,
I can wander around with the worst hair,
I can change the TV channel every five minutes,
I can sit still like a corpse to think without worrying anyone,
I can remain silent when I don’t feel like talking without being called a sociopath.

Too many reasons to love nights,
Hence I am nocturnal,
A proud creature living in the night,
Not to hunt, not to prey, not for any particular reason,
Just because I am,
Only the owls understand…



*An oldies ringing in my mind while writing this:
秋夜 by 白光
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChYZXqwalLw&feature=related


.

No comments:

Post a Comment